Our Adoption Program
Good Hearts serves as a placement agency for foster-to-adopt and straight CPS adoptions. The purpose of Good Hearts’ adoption program is to create a permanent family relationship that will give the adopted child a sense of stability, security, and family.
Children who are eligible for adoption services are those that meet one or more of the foster care eligibility criteria in addition to the following:
- the child is in the managing conservatorship of DFPS;
- the permanency planning goal for the child(ren) is adoption; and
- the child is legally available for adoption (the parents are deceased or their parental rights have been terminated), legal risk placement is being considered for the child and a Petition to Terminate Parental Rights has been filed with the court, or a termination hearing is scheduled within 90 days.
Good Hearts will consider children ineligible for services if the child:
- acts on predatory sexual tendencies;
- has an IQ < 40
- is currently chemical dependent;
- is currently psychotic;
- has attempted suicide within the last six weeks;
- has expressed and acted on homicidal tendencies within the last six weeks; and/or
- has set fires within the last year.
However, Good Hearts will review all referrals and make exceptions as necessary after reviewing all available information.
In addition to the child care and treatment foster care services provided to the child, Good Hearts offers adoption services including, but not limited to the following:
- recruiting, screening, training, supervising and supporting adoptive families to help meet the child’s physical, social, emotional, and educational needs;
- facilitating communication and meetings between adoptive parents, health care, legal, and social service providers;
- facilitating the completion of all required adoption paperwork;
- providing adoptive parents with additional information on adoption resources and financial assistance; and
- individual and family therapy services with professional behavioral health providers.